Some businesses stand out from others as far as their attempts at good corporate governance and business ethics are concerned.
In 2003 Business Ethics magazine ranked the 100 Best Corporate Citizens. General Mills, the Minnesota-based producer of cereals and other food products, ranked ideal on the list. So what’s this company doing that sets it but other companies?
At General Mills, the company culture is predicated on business ethics and company social responsibility. Employees are successful at being ethical because they follow their own standards and cling to their core values. Employees are furnished with the company’s written code of ethics and are expected to uphold the values of the corporation:
- we attempt for the very best quality in our products, services, and relationships.
- We set and maintain the best standards for all aspects of our work.
- We advance and grow our businesses honestly and ethically, taking no shortcuts which may compromise our high standards.
- We suits local laws in every nation where we operate. We recognize and respect the cultures, customs, and practices of our consumers and customers in nations round the world.
- We steer afar from conflicts of interest and work to avoid even the perception of conflict.
- We set very high expectations for ourselves—and for the integrity of our company. we’ll not compromise those standards.
- We deliver on our promises.
- We are ever mindful of the trust our consumers, customers, partners, and employees place normally Mills. we are going to never knowingly or willfully undermine that trust.
Another company that has been recognized internationally for its outstanding corporate governance and ethics is Hewlett-Packard (HP), the pc and accessory manufacturer. HP has set high ethical standards to which employees are expected to stick. Its core ethical values are:
- Honesty in communicating within the corporate and with our business partners, suppliers, and customers, while at the identical time protecting the company’s lead and trade secrets.
- Excellence in our products and services, by striving to supply high-quality products and services to our customers.
- Responsibility for our words and actions.
- Compassion in our relationships with our employees and also the communities plagued by our business.
- Citizenship in our observance of all the laws of any country in which we do business, respect for environmental concerns and our service to the community by improving and enriching community life.
- Fairness to our fellow employees, stakeholders, business partners, customers, and suppliers through adherence to all or any applicable laws, regulations, and policies, and a high standard of behavior.
- Respect for our fellow employees, stakeholders, business partners, customers, and suppliers while showing willingness to solicit their opinions and value their feedback.